Cliff focuses his practice on advising individuals and organizations that are innovating in the areas of education, business, and the non-profit sector. Whether it’s a school, a start-up business, an existing business, or a social enterprise, Cliff guides his clients through projects big and small and the many twists and turns experienced along the way.
Drawing from 15 years of experience in which he serves many as their outside general counsel and close trusted advisor, Cliff’s cross-disciplinary approach to practice spans a variety of areas of law to provide clients with a team member that possesses the depth and breadth required to implement legal strategies that support clients as they pursue their passions, purposes, and interests.
- Representing charter schools, Charter Management Organizations, “friends of” organizations and educational service providers in the areas of entity formation/charter applications, general corporate law and governance, obtaining tax-exempt status, employment law matters, student discipline matters, effective use of social media and appearance before regulatory authorities;
- Representing charter schools, “friends of” organizations and charter school organizations in connection with the leasing, licensing, financing, development and acquisition of school facilities;
- Representing entrepreneurs from start-up stage (selection and structure of entity, foundational documents, etc.) through exit;
- Providing General Counsel services to small and mid-sized businesses on day-to-day legal matters and strategic opportunities across a variety of industries including brick and mortar retail, e-commerce, internet-based advertising, social media, professional services, hospitality and event marketing organizations, restaurants and real estate professionals;
- Counseling individuals, businesses and other organizations on e-commerce, social media and internet law issues;
- Representing commercial tenants and landlords (office space, retail, warehouse, multi-use), developers, investors and lenders in commercial real estate transactions; and
- Representing clients in connection with dispute resolution and matters before state and federal courts and administrative agencies.
Activities & Career Highlights
- Trustee and Secretary of the Board of Trustees of Neighborhood Charter Schools;
- Board Member and Co-Secretary of P.S. 527â€™s Parent-Teacher Organization;
- Board Member and Secretary of ZBT National Housing Inc., (Zeta Beta Tau Fraternityâ€™s real estate-focused organization);
- General Counsel to approximately 100 charter schools, charter school networks, charter school management organizations, private schools, proprietary schools and educational service providers;
- General Counsel to emerging, established and high-growth e-commerce and internet-based businesses;
- Prior to entering private practice in 2008, Senior Counsel for largest educational management organization with focus on management of real estate portfolio, major service contracts, corporate governance, intellectual property and U.K.-based operations;
- Presenter at professional development sessions and strategic planning meetings for schools and school boards, with a focus on corporate governance, board functioning and legal compliance, anti-harassment training and the effective use of social media; and
- Frequent speaker atÂ education lawÂ and charter school conferences.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- Association of Public Charter School Attorneys
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy ProfessionalsÂ